Sunday, May 17, 2015

For the First Time My Reasons for Living Life out in the Open

People who know me and associate with me present and past and who read my work often ask me this question.  Why do you live your life so out in the open?

I learned as a child never to allow anyone to hold anything over me. It costs too much.

My little brother used to force me to do his chores because he knew things I had done my parents did not know. When I got tired of it, I told my parents everything. I took my punishment and then I went looking for my brother. We needed to talk.

The reason some question my openness is that I speak my mind. I speak my mind on sex, love, religion, politics, and money. When I talk or write about either, I am explicit.

Reasons for living my life out in the open include:
  • It establishes clarity of point of view without needing the sanction and approval of others to be true to self.
  • It prevents the necessity of covering up, hiding, and lying about my behavior.
  • It prevents the necessity of pretending to be someone I am not.
  • It prevents making back room and secret deals seeking to take an unfair advantage of others.
  • It provides opportunity for meaningful trust and relationship to develop.
  • It is mature behavior to inform people what your interests are in them.

Living life out in the open is not a novel idea. It is just different. It does not seek approval to do the right thing.    


How do you live your life, out in the open or covered up?

No comments:

Post a Comment